My friend, Anne, gave me this simple but tasty Lemon Poppy Seed recipe. The original source of this recipe comes from Catherine Stein. I made it for my most recent essential oils 101 class and it was a success.
I am sure there are bakers out there that will cringe at the fact that I am using a box of yellow cake. Honestly, if I knew how to make that, I would. But I don’t. So if you do know how, please email me and tell me! I’m always open to suggestions and improvements!
*You can make this recipe gluten free, by buying a box of gluten free yellow cake.
– (1) Yellow cake mix
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 3/4 cup canola (or vegetable) oil
– 4 eggs
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1/4 cup poppy seed
– The original recipe called for Lemon jest and fresh Lemon juice. I replaced both with 5 drops Young Living Lemon essential oil (I really like the Lemon taste).
– 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
– 1 tsp almond extract
– 1-2 drops Young Living Lemon essential oil
– Milk to your desired thickness
– Mix all ingredients for the cake together on low speed for about two minutes
– Mix in the poppy seeds
– Pour into 2 prepared loaf pans
– Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
– While bread cools mix together icing ingredients
Enjoy! It was a huge hit at my class and with my family!